Friday, February 4, 2011

So long to yesterday...

Today was a very somber day. My great uncle who just happened to be the same age as my father (my great grand mother and my grand mother were pregnant at the same time). My great grand mother had lots of children lol. Anyway my great uncle "Rock" passed aways today. While death is often a sad occasion in biblical terms death is suppose to be a time to rejoice and be happy that the loved one has moved on the heaven. But today presented a rare very different meaning to me today.


My cousin made me realize that most of the older cousins and mostly aunts and uncles had gotten old. Lots of people had canes and often stumbled when they tried to walk. It saddened me just a little because it made me appreciate the time we have here on earth and the change our bodies and appearance would take up in life. The preacher made a fantastic point that I often thought was true growing up as a child. 


He said "death was something that happened to people who were sick or old".


I too believed that at one point but seeing as how events seem to occur in todays world nothing is like it was yesterday. I'm sure my uncle lead a great life and he'll pass his legacy onto his son who was just eleven years old. While I embrace death its the preparations for the home going service that are always a bit challenging to me. During funerals I tend to sit there in the pew contemplating people who are older than me passing who still may be alive. I know that sounds weird but it's a thought that always runs through my mind. I don't like the way it makes me feel but I know it's something that will eventually happen one day.


I know death is eminent and it's a road we all must endure.. I just pray when yesterday is gone I would have completed the assignment that God has set forth in my life.


Goodbye Yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...